Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Orange Marmalade!


I attempted orange marmalade on Sunday, and I'm very pleased with the results! It took a couple hours and the house smelled like oranges, but the payoff was 11 8 oz. jars of tasty candied oranges. I used Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats, and the only ingredients were 5 oranges, 1 lemon, and lots of sugar. I have yet to try it on toast, but it was excellent on vanilla ice cream. If you are a fan of the old fashioned dreamsicle(vanilla ice cream pop covered in orange sorbet) then this is your ice cream topper! I've thought about selling the jars, but I'm a little timid about putting myself out there. What do you think, dear reader? Would you pay $4 for an 8 oz. jar?

4 comments:

  1. I would definitely pay $4! Stick a cute label on there and you could probably get $5 out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you make any money if you charged $4? After the cost of jars and fruit and sugar, I figured I'd have to charge at least $5 or $6 to even turn a profit. I wasn't even including my time in there either. But maybe fruit at the farmer's market is just expensive. I need to grow my own, but that won't happen for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think I would. The recipe only calls for 2lbs of oranges and the cost for sugar is about $2 for 4lbs. That and the cost of jars at $0.50 a piece. It would definitely help out my formula and incidentals budget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude listen. my aunt and lola work the craft show circuit in fl, and they clear over 1000 on big weekends with the majority being in jellies and hats. (i can give you some ideas on markteting these suckers...a little cute material on top, cut with cutsie scissors, etc and label). We could split a booth...one day, when we aren't so busy pushing out babies. :)
    and YES, $5 a jar!

    ReplyDelete