Thursday, April 21, 2011

Whats Your Point? Friday edition

I stumbled across Younger Restlesser and Reformeder , 'good natured roast' of the new Calvinist culture of which I am squarely placed. It was pretty dead-on in areas. I think it was meant to zing! me and really make me sting and laugh at the same time, but instead it was kind of a comfort. Its nice to know that if we were uprooted and planted in Grand Rapids, Michigan(where Ted Kluck is) we would fit right in, Honda Odyssey and and all. My point: Its nice to know we arent as weird as we feel.

I got my hair cut last week and after a few days of living with it I decided it wasnt exactly what I was hoping for so tonight I went back for a tune-up. I LOVE it. I really do. I admit I was vague when I sat down the first time, so the stylist(hairdresser? haircutter?) went with what would look cute--and it was! It was really cute, except that I have a bad habit of tucking my hair behind my ears and it was making my hair poof out and look ridiculous. Anyway, she fixed it and I'm really happy with this new haircut. My point: hairstylists have a lot of patience and I appreciate what they do.

Yesterday while I was home I made a whole bunch of babyfood and froze them into little baby food ice cubes. I made green beans, broccoli, carrots, corn, apples, mangoes, sweet potato. I also have some squash, zucchini and blueberry to whirl up sometime. This is big for me because wtih my first two little ones I would just make stuff as I needed it. It was pretty easy, and I didnt see the need to get all crazy with making up a bunch at once. But since Mighty Titus is #3, I've learned that if I didnt do it when I had an opportunity, I it wouldnt happen at all. So now the little guy is ready to go for the next week or two. My point: I get better at planning, preparing, and producing with each child.

I resolved(something YRRers do a lot, apparently) a while back to get better at hospitality and I'm glad to say that despite orderliness being my weakness, I've been brave enough to have spontaneous friends and family over.* Its not because I am getting better at having a well-ordered and presentable home, but because I think I've gotten over my fear of people seeing that we can be messy(gasp! I think the secret is out) and realizing that guests are more comfortable when their host is as well, not when the house is spotless. So I'm happy to let go of the dream of having everything neatly packed away and organized and really try to just enjoy the moment. Its been nice. My point: Changing is good.


*Full disclosure: once I forgot that I invited my sister over and she and the kids were in our driveway waiting for us and really, I had to just swallow my sense of shame and let her in our chaotic home. She grew up with me, its not like she didnt know I'm a mess.

1 comment:

  1. KATHY! I didn't realize you were blogging over here. I just have your family blog in my reader.
    LOVED this. And I am looking forward to the new do. I totally get the hair behind the ear thing. I do that too so I get it.

    ReplyDelete