Thursday, April 28, 2011

Whats Your Point Wednesday. Yeah, its Thursday. Whats your point?

Grace Upon Grace


So what if its Thursday?? Anytime I blog its a win, so who cares if I'm a day late? In fact, I like the bulleted lists of talking points (Lessons learned, Whats your point), so I could probably make all my titles "Whats your point?"

It has been my limited experience that when I pick up blogging again blog-worthy events seem to happen to me. It might not really be true. It may just be that I am in the frame of mind that when little things happen I think, "That's going in the blog." It also could be that I feel pressured to make sure that I'm coming up with interesting(this is subjective) tidbits to talk about, so everything then becomes blog-worthy. Either way, I'm limiting my scope in this site to mostly the trivial. I have found that theology and cultural issues are easier to communicate in person. I get frustrated with my inabilities to put into text what I want to say, and how to say it. So for now at least I'm making myself keep it simple. Family stories, funny episodes, and an occasoinal recipe sprinkled in will be what you can expect. You might have figured that out by now, but I felt the need to share. My point: I communicate better orally instead of through the written word. This is not really good news if one is trying to blog more.

It has been one weird week so far. I think things got weird on Saturday and it just continued for a while. There was no one thing that was particuarly hard, but just a collection of small stuff piled on top of each other. One thing that I'm having misgivings about sharing is something that is embarrassing but apparently very common. So far, none of my friends have had to deal with it, but it could also be that none of us are brave enough to share this type of info with each other. I hope thats not the case. Anyway, to create the illusion of secrecy while still sharing this helpful information with my (3) readers, this embarassing condition will be named (rhymes with) spinfirms. I would have never even suspected that or known to look for it, but since I know some people who have dealt with it, I had an idea what to look for. So, if your son or daughter plays outside often and might occasionally put their hands in their mouths, and starts itching in the diaper/underwear area, you might want to check out about spinfirms and get some medicine at your drugstore. And then religiously wash their sheets, clothes, bathtub, hands, cups, chairs,  fingernails, and basically anything else that your child comes in contact with. And then realize that if your child plans on playing outside again that it might happen again, and then stop feeling ashamed about it. My point: sharing this type of info can be embarrassing, but unless we share we won't know what to look for and how to help. Right??

It's Thursday, which means library day. Today we are going to look for books about pangolins. They are funny little creatures that Josiah got really interested in the other night. Also, I decided to make use of the online hold/request feature last week so now I have 15 books waiting on me at the front desk that I chose from The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. Yay. I'm still going to let Josiah and Naomi pick out a few books themselves, but this way I know I'm still getting some quality selections. My point: Planning ahead is going to save my life.

We ended up with 6 butterflies in our little herd. They snuck out of their cucoons when we weren't looking over a period of a couple days. Everytime we looked in there there was a new butterfly It was really amazing watching them slowly open and close their wings. I really liked to watch them eating. So amazing. It also really creeped me out having them hanging out in our house. I guess knowing that all creation groans under us made me a little suspicious of these beautiful insects. I knew they resented being in a cage for our entertainment when they really belonged outside flitting from flower to flower. We let them go yesterday and they seemed very eager to escape our backyard and get on with real living. Its nice to have them gone, since I knew the only thing that kept them from stinging us was the lack of a stinger. My point: I feel guilty that because of the Fall, even harmless and  beautiful butterflies don't like us. Its mutual.

No comments:

Post a Comment