Thursday, January 21, 2010

Just a thought.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that we often parade the condition of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder like its a virtue? I hear statements like these a lot, "I'm a little OCD about the sheets"(me), or "I guess I am OCD about the kitchen sink" as if OCD is a good thing, or it makes your weird ticks about how you like the counter wiped down sound like its secretly a good thing. Its like complaining about never gaining weight. People don't often complain aloud about things in themselves that they truly think are bad. We use OCD as if we are giving ourselves back-handed compliments.

But think about it, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is a real problem for people. It is crippling and debilitating to those who truly suffer from this illness. Most true OCD sufferers* have a hard time relating to the rest of society and many feel that they are imprisoned by their own habits and fears. Yet we take this condition and wear it like a badge of honor. We would never say, "I'm so bulimic today," or "I guess I'm a little anorexic during breakfast time." Yet somehow OCD is acceptable to claim without any sensitivity to its true sufferers' plight. We do not have OCD when we like all the switches to be flicked down. We don't even have it when it bothers us that all the screws on the switchplate aren't turned to the same direction. Those are preferences, because most of us can walk away and not give those things a second thought despite their annoyances.

I just thought I'd throw this up here. Trust me, I'm not going to give you this same speech if you refer to yourself as 'having OCD' about something now. I might, however, feel really sorry for how that one thing is taking over your whole life and hampering your daily activities. Ok, not really. I'll know what you mean.



*There is a condition called Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder that is a little less severe.

2 comments:

  1. Love the new blog :)

    And yes, I have thought the same thing many times. Same thing with people labeling themselves "anal."

    Ok, so why blogger and not wordpress. I seem to recall a ceremonious exit from blogger a few years back whilst singing the praises of wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Blogger because it seems simpler. If I were a fancy-pants writer with thousands of followers, I might be able to take advantage of all the bells and whistles of Wordpress. But since I'm doing this for a simpler purpose, I think Blogger will meet my needs quite well. I have noticed some differences and drawbacks to blogger, but I'm happy with the simplicity of it for now.

    ReplyDelete