Friday, January 22, 2010

Radical Reformission- Conclusion.

Overall, the book was pretty good. Like I said before, my critiques are minor. I still have a couple other issues that I wasn't 100% on board with, but even then my hesitancy made me 85% in agreement, so it may not even be worth mentioning.

There are three things that really appreciated the last part of the book: 1) his stance on alcohol, 2) his discussion of post-modernism, and 3)his evaluation of the culture in which he lives.

Alcohol. I won't rehash his arguments. If even the mention of this issue for Christians makes your pulse race, then know that I probably won't be up to going at it with you on a blog. I am much more articulate in person. And I would tell you the book does a great job of making a case for the freedom of believers to consume alcohol in the chapter, "The Sin of Light Beer" Let's just say, I am in full agreement with the liberty that he views the choice to consume alcohol. And I am saying this from a household in which we consume none. My husband is attending a seminary in which he was expected to sign a pledge when he registered that he would not consume alcohol at any time while he was a student. He has honored his pledge.

Post-modernism. The chapter on modernism and post-modernism was interesting, and my absolute favorite part of it was this passage as he is attempting to explain what exactly post-modernism is: "Are you ready for the ride? Remember, this is not an academic treatment of the subject. Instead, I will write whatever comes to mind for a while and then stop, because anything more than that on this subject gives me a headache of Absalomic proportions."(p. 162) So awesome. Not being an expert on the subject of post-modernism, I really appreciated his discussion of the 'seven demons' troubling the church today. It is excellent. Go read it.

Evaluating the Culture. In his conclusion, Driscoll gets specific about the ways in which his church is sensitive to the culture of Seattle and shares how they have chosen to approach ministering to their members and those outside the church walls. It made me think of my own little suburban area. How would I characterize the people in my community? What are their weaknesses and strengths? How can we be aware and sensitive to the needs of our neighbors and coworkers? I do not have answers, by the way. Thought-provoking.

I enjoyed this book. I found it hilarious, thought-provoking, and convicting in areas. It made me thankful for my own church. I think it may not appeal to some readers(ahem, Dad) because of some low-brow humor, but the meat is there. I have read better books, but I would definitely recommend it to others because I found it helpful in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment