Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On talking too much.

I read this post.

I could say that the first quote from Calvin sums me up pretty well--if I replaced the word 'write' with the word 'talk'. I am a very verbal person, and I am usually thinking things through as I am saying them(definitely not a good thing) which leads to many, many regrets. I have put my foot in my mouth too many times to count. Sometimes it can be a good thing, though. Dirk can get the best of a book without having to actually read it because I like talking about what I am reading or learning about. This can be advantageous to him as he doesn't have much time for reading for his own pleasure. I have a few friends who start off our conversations with, "What have you been reading/learning about?" because they know it will open a floodgate of what is swimming around in my head.

I digress.

My point in that rant(I promised many of those, didnt I?) is that I talk a lot. I'm thinking that's not a good thing all the time. If I have another outlet for ideas and thoughts maybe I won't have the need to speak everything that is on my mind. I have been inspired by a good friend to start journaling. That is truly a discipline that I have yet to master. I have tried multiple times, in fact, I have a shelf of half-empty notebooks where I have started with a gusto and then petered off. I'm thinking this might be a better attempt since I have the idea that this is a discussion--and that others(just a few) might read it and answer back. Maybe it will spark a conversation, if not with me than with someone else. And it will thereby satisfy my desire to interact and those within earshot won't have to beholden to all my thoughts and opinions.

Make sense? Maybe not.

3 comments:

  1. I do like the part where you tell me about a book and I don't have to read it. It really makes me feel as if I have read a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I've even heard you say "I've read that book..." Which makes me feel good that I've talked about it enough that you really do feel as though YOU read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been disciplined with journaling either. I just got this book by Ronald Reagan called The Reagan Diaries, and it's all his journal entries while he was President.

    He said life was too hectic while they were in the White House to enjoy what was happening, so after he left office, he and Nancy would read each others daily journals at night and go back and relive those moments. I thought that was ridiculously cute and kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete