Friday, January 22, 2010

The Pleasures of God --Introduction

I am going to start reading The Pleasures of God by John Piper with a friend and I think I am going to use the blog to talk about each chapter in a post. I have a GREAT appreciating for John Piper for his ministry, for his writing, for his passion for Jesus. I have many books of his, and have started most of them but completed few. I love reading books with people, it motivates me and makes me a more active reader because I know will be talking about it with someone(instead of to someone, as is typical for me)about it at some point. These posts will not be reviews, or anything particularly systematized. I just want a medium for sharing my thoughts.

Introduction.
Piper says the reason for this book was found in the pages of the book The Life of God in the Soul of Man, by Henry Scougal. I must read this book someday. Apparently it has inspired, refreshed, and renewed countless Christians to greater love and service to God for over 300 years. What struck Piper was the statement, "The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of his love." This statement was referring to man, but Piper found the same must be true of God. He says 'one way to meditate on God is to meditate on His pleasures,' and 'one way to see the glory of God is to see His joy.' As we meditate and study the charater of God, we will become more like Him. Piper does not refer to 1 John 3:2, but is exactly his point: "Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is." When we see Jesus, we will be like Him. Now we see Him imperfectly, but the day is coming when we will see Him as he truly is, and we will be changed. So now, we must strive to see Jesus in the pages of scripture to understand and to love Him more, and in so doing we will be changed. As Piper says, 'beholding is a way of becoming.'

I am looking forward to Chapter 1 entitled, "The Pleasures of God in His Son" I have read this chapter before, and LOVED it.

No comments:

Post a Comment